Key Lime Pie is such a delicious treat – the mix of creamy filling with the tart lime is just perfect. But most versions of this American treat are packed with sugar and a little too indulgent to enjoy frequently.
This twist on Key Lime Pie makes it lower in sugar and carbs, gluten-free and packed with the nourishing benefits of Omega 3 Zooki. Unlike a traditional Key Lime Pie, this gluten-free Key Lime Pie recipe doesn’t use crushed biscuits for the base. Instead, it uses blitzed oats which means it’s a far lower glycaemic index but still tasty with a hint of crunch. The lack of biscuits significantly cuts the sugar and fat content of the overall dish too and means this dessert contains no trans-fats. But, most importantly, it's delicious!
For the base:
220g gluten-free oats
6 tablespoons melted butter
1 tablespoon honey
For the topping:
250g full-fat cream cheese
2 limes, zest and juice
300ml double cream
6 teaspoons Omega 3 Zooki
- First prepare the base.
- Preheat oven to 180 °C/ 350 °F / Gas 4.
- Blitz the oats until they make a course flour.
- Add the butter and honey and mix well.
- Pour into a 9inch / 25cm loose bottom flan tin.
- Using the back of a spoon, pat down the mixture so it’s firm and even across the base.
- Bake in the oven for 15 mins - it should be dry and only just browning. Allow to cool.
- To prepare the topping, combine the lime zest and juice with the stevia and cream cheese.
- In a separate bowl whip the cream until stiff and fold into the lime and cream cheese mixture. Then add the Zooki and fold through the cream mix.
- Spread over the base until even and chill for 4 hrs, preferably overnight.
For more recipes from Caro, visit The Happy Food Kitchen